Knowing what to do in the case of a car accident ahead of time will make an otherwise difficult situation go more smoothly. You may find more details about this at What Should I Do If I Have a Car Accident
Immediately After the Mishap
- Come to a halt. The consequences of fleeing an accident are serious.
- Maintain your composure. Staying calm will help others to respond appropriately and will enable you to gain a clearer understanding of the situation.
- Look for any injuries. If someone is hurt and you can fairly assist them, do so. Get emergency treatment if the injuries are serious or you are unsure what to do.
- To warn motorists, use flares and hazard lights.
- If your injuries are minor and your car is not severely damaged, pull over to the side of the road if you are in the path of oncoming traffic.
Calling the Cops: Information Exchange
The following details should be exchanged between the drivers of the vehicles involved in the accident.
– Contact information (name and phone number)
– The number on your driver’s licence
– Number assigned to a vehicle
– The car’s owner’s name and address (this is important as the person driving the vehicle may not be the owner of the car)
– Insurance provider name and address, as well as policy number
When do you contact the authorities? Any accident can be reported to the police, but they must be notified if the damage exceeds $500. If the police are called, you must remain in your car until the investigation is concluded.If you’re asked to provide a rundown of the accident, stick to the truth rather than expressing an opinion. This involves whether or not you believe you were at fault. The insurance agents will examine the evidence and facts and make a liability decision.If a ticket is given to you, sign it. Signing a ticket does not mean you accept responsibility; it simply means you plan to appear in court to appeal the ticket or pay the fine at a later date. The police officer has the authority to arrest you if you do not sign the ticket.If you hit a parked car or harm property and can’t find the owner, you must leave your name, address, phone number, and a description of what happened in a prominent location.